Monday, May 28, 2012

Golf Tournament and Southwick Zoo

I had told Chris C., Christina's friend Jen's husband, that I would be interested in returning to golf sometime in the near future.  I hadn't played since high school, 20 years ago.  He surprised me by inviting me to participate in a scramble-style golf tournament at Simsbury Farms Golf Club, a beautiful public course.  The tournament is an annual fund raiser for the CT Tiger's girl's softball team.  I had less than a month to prepare, my original antiquated clubs, and anxiety about playing in a tournament in a well-to-do part of the state.  However, I made two trips to the driving range, elicited advice from some prominent golf afficionados, and went into the tournament without high expectations.  By playing best ball, the scramble format was a fun, forgiving way to play.  But I must say that I have never played better and I impressed myself.  The tips I got were very important.  Our foursome did come in last place, 9 over par, but only by 3 strokes.  Chris and I enjoyed a sunny day on the course with drink service at our beck and call, and finished with a delicious dinner buffett.  Overall, it was a great day and I might return to golf sometime in the near future.

Christina took Megan to the Southwick zoo in Massachusetts and they also enjoyed their day.

No comments: