Monday, January 31, 2011
Snow Bound
We have officially set a record for snowfall in the month of January in Connecticut and we are 4th on the all-time yearly record for snowfall (we'll make at least 2nd by the end of the winter, I'm sure)- we're at 80-90 inches so far (7+feet). With several 1 - 2 foot snow storms, myself and many others have felt compelled to shovel our rooves to avoid a collapse, which 100's of older, flatroof buildings have experienced around here. Our schools have been closed for a week to clear snow - with the help of the National Guard and volunteer residents. Snow banks ominously tower at my eye level at the end of my driveway (making backing out into the streets dangerous). If it were possible to walk through the yard, it would be knee to waist deep in places. I've maintained several paths in our yard - the front steps, a path from the driveway to the back for oil deliveries, a run for Bailey from the deck to his potty area, and a path to our shed (for gas for the snowblower and bird feed). I also made a path to Megan's playset to clear it off so it wouldn't collapse. I've kept the deck clear of snow (so it wouldn't collapse and to access the grill in case an ice storm knocked out power), but ice has built up on our deck floor and sometimes seals the doors from the dripping gutters and overhangs which have ice dams built up a least a foot high. I constantly remove icicles that I would marvel at as a kid, for safety. It's been an exausting winter with snow removal, slippe
ry travel and being confined to indoors. Can't wait for our March vacation in Florida!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
all I can say is YUK !!
glad I wasn't there!
But someday you'll look back on it and have fond memories????
mom
Post a Comment