Sunday, September 2, 2012

Return to Mystic with Bailey

Now that we are members, we plan to visit Mystic seaport more frequently.  Additionally, Bailey is welcome!  He joined us on a warm sunny late summer day.   I have been reading the visitor's guide which covers the very interesting history of the seaport.  I've learned a few things about sailing and ships as well.  Do I foresee a new hobby in the future?

We also eventually learned why Bailey's behavior had been so strange lately.  We worried when he no longer greeted us at the door when we came home from work and wouldn't rouse from a sleep until we touched him.  We took him to the vet's for bloodwork and a physical, but everything was normal.  We finally realized that Bailey had gone deaf!  As it turns out, many dogs do go deaf and their keen senses of smell and their use of other senses mask the gradual loss of hearing from detection.  He sleeps much better these days and does quite well with visual commands.  Now that we know how to communicate with him, he's happy and as energetic as ever.

No comments: