Saturday, July 30, 2011

July was Deck month

The deck wood had aged and splinters made it difficult for us to walk on, so I discovered a product called Restore, which is a thick paint-like product which sealed in the splinters, filled the cracks and gave a new look and surface for us to walk on for at least the next 10 years, I hope. First I powerwashed the deck, then stained the railing a matching color, and finally covered the floor with 2 coats of Restore painted on by hand. This took at least 30 hours, I estimate, mostly spread over several dry weekends during the month of July. Christina would entertain Megan for 1/3 of our summer while I finished the project. It came out nice, which is good because I never want to do it again! Enjoy some pictures below.



Our garden, planted in 6 square pots, has done well. Megan enjoys picking basil, Bailey enjoys helping himself to some green beans, a well camoflauged tree frog enjoyed shelter on the wooden snap pea trellis, Christina enjoyed fresh tomatoes, and I enjoyed making pickles from our cucumbers and dill.







No comments: