'Twas the night before New Years... (It was 11:00 pm - the Uconn women's basketball game was just ending and so was their record breaking winning streak.)
When all through the house...
A Creature WAS stirring (inside of our chimney)
And it WASN'T a mouse... (It wasn't Santa either)
Where our stockings were hung by the chimney with care, inside there was something covered with hair. (Bailey had been sniffing at the fireplace for 2 weeks, trying to tell us that something was in there)
Christina was sleeping and I started to prepare to start settling down for a long winter's nap... (I had just taken Bailey out for his last potty of the night)
When I heard a thump in our fireplace!
I sprang from the couch to uncover the source of the clatter. (I took our mag light and shined it into a small hole in the flue and I saw brown fur shifting around, and then a round brown nose larger than Bailey's)
I knew in a moment that it must be the RACOON!
Visions of the Racoon attacking Bailey and/or Megan danced in my head (I had not woken up Christina to tell her, but I did secure the fireplace shut).
When what to her wondering eyes did appear... (Christina saw the yellow racoon's eye peak through the hole the next morning).
A sneaky little creature, so lively and quick (it had escaped unnoticed before we began our project).
The new fallen snow gave the luster of midday to objects below (our roof was covered with snow, which I shovelled to prepare...)
Like dry leaves that before the wild hurricane fly, when they meet with an object they mount to the sky (I purchased rope at the hardware store, lasooed the chimney and began my ascent to the top of the slippery roof to take measurements and to get a visual to find out if the critter was still there)
He laughed at me in spite of himself (George and Joann watched Megan while I made a fool of myself)
And soon I found I had nothing to dread (there was no sign of the Racoon when peering down from the top using my flashlight and mirror)
He spoke not a word, but went straight to his work (Dad helped me put together my custom-built chimney cap screen the next day)
...ere he drove out of sight (And so far, the cap has held and no sign of the racoon since)
Happy 'Coon year to all and to all a good night!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment